THE NATHAN CUMMINGS FOUNDATION
SPECIAL ASSISTANT , PRESIDENT’S OFFICE
The Nathan Cummings Foundation (NCF) is recruiting an Special Assistant (SA) to join the President’s office team. The SA will report to the President and also to the Chief of Staff/Board Liaison (COS/BL), and will play a critical support role in creating a highly functioning team and organization. This is a great opportunity to work in the philanthropic sector for a mission driven candidate interested in a job that provides stimulating challenges as well as developmental opportunities.
The Nathan Cummings Foundation is a multigenerational family foundation, rooted in the Jewish tradition of social justice and committed to creating a more just, vibrant, sustainable and democratic society. Located in New York City, NCF has assets of approximately $450 million and an annual budget of about $25 million. NCF has given away more than $425 million in the past 25 years and has earned a strong track record as a leader and innovator in the philanthropic community.
As a family foundation, the Board of Trustees is actively engaged in the affairs of the Foundation. Under the leadership of Sharon Alpert, the first female and fourth president, the foundation is aligning its strategy, culture, and technology in building teams for its next successful chapter. In a work environment where people of diverse religions, races, ages, genders, sexual orientation and backgrounds collaborate, the foundation encourages creative thinking and individual growth.
Known for tackling difficult issues that require moving hearts and minds, NCF takes risks on the unexpected, such as its fellowship that grants visionaries up to $150,000 to turn an inspired and potentially radical idea into a world-changing reality. NCF has a long history of aligning investments with values through shareholder activism and is exploring how it expands the tools it uses to direct NCF’s investment dollars for greater impact. While NCF’s work is primarily concentrated in the United States, it supports efforts addressing inequality in Israel and looks globally to make a strategic difference.
The Special Assistant will provide support to the President who has many demands on her time. The key to this role is being extraordinarily organized, a self-starter with strong work ethics, an acute attention to detail, and able to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously. Solid written and verbal communication skills are essential, along with the ability to exercise independent judgment, handle difficult situations in a professional manner, and have the ability to function effectively under pressure.
The SA will work in partnership with the COS/BL to design and implement information management systems that organize and track the flow of inquiries and requests to the President’s Office. S/he will also be pro-active in making recommendations on requests by conducting due diligence and providing background information and materials. Two major challenges will be managing the President’s busy calendar and travel schedule, which requires synthesizing a vast amount of varied information to distill what’s important and what’s not, and then liaising with other executives and assistants to implement.
The SA is expected to be a trusted partner capable of dealing with a variety of personalities in situations requiring diplomacy, poise and firmness in maintaining effective relationships with people at all levels on behalf of the President’s office. Perhaps most importantly, the SA must be flexible and maintain a positive “can do” attitude to deal with the norm as well as the unexpected. The ideal candidate will feel challenged and excited to take on small and large tasks essential to the Foundation’s success and his/her individual growth.
Executive and Administrative Support
- Maintains President’s calendar by managing schedules and meetings to ensure daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly priorities are met. Recognizes and anticipates conflicts and proactively adjusts to meet priority demands. Manages travel planning and expense management activities.
- Monitor and manage internal and external communications into and out of the President’s office, including special projects
- Liaise with the COS/BL on any issues/opportunities and action to be taken and keep an up-to- date repository of projects underway; request pending review as necessary
- With a clear understanding of the subject matter, provide concrete suggestions, feedback and systematic support
- Take notes/minutes at meetings as directed; highlight action items; draft and circulate in a timely manner, and maintain confidentiality on all work issues and opportunities
- Work with the COS/BL on President’s office conference calls/meetings/gatherings; prepare necessary materials and organize logistics including travel arrangements as required
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, compilation of President’s expense reports, track and submit reimbursements, monitor budget expenditures, review and prepare requests for payment
- Respond to daily e-mails, screen phone calls, open and sort mail and summarize reports/memos as appropriate
- This position may require travel and occasional work outside traditional office hours
- Interest in performing critical support role while learning in a fast-paced environment
- Adept to learning and developing new IT skills and processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Ability to anticipate President's and COS/BL needs and proactively support those needs
- Strong commitment to delivering excellence & emotional maturity
- Sense of humor, exceptional work ethic, “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude, and a willingness to do “whatever it takes” to get the job done
- Possess Bachelor’s Degree, Post Graduate Diploma, Professional or Master’s Degree
- Minimum 3-5 years supporting a high-level executive
- Excellent computer skills, including spreadsheets and social media
- Good sense of self and strong personal presence
Salary: commensurate with experience; excellent benefits including retirement plan, foundation-paid medical and dental insurance coverage, vacation & holidays, and staff development funds and tuition reimbursement.
To be considered, please follow the application process and APPLY HERE:
The Nathan Cummings Foundation is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination. Qualified applicants seeking employment at the Foundation are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.